ACWA Outreach Awards Program
ACWA 2017 Outreach Awards Program Guidelines
The ACWA Outreach Program plays a key role in the association’s advocacy efforts. Contacts made by ACWA members with legislators, key regulators, and administration officials have directly affected the outcomes of numerous decisions and helped advance the association’s legislative and regulatory agenda.
Regional and Overall Outreach Awards
ACWA recognizes the most active ACWA member agencies in each region, as well as an overall winner, through the Outreach Awards presented at the Fall Conference & Exhibition each year.
Overall interaction is tracked by ACWA staff. All letters and contacts made by members must be consistent with ACWA’s support or oppose positions or stated policies for the issue. Contact can be made in the form of a letter (faxed or emailed), email message, telephone call or in-person contact.
Interaction points are awarded as follows:
- Letter or email – 1 point per addressee (cc’d contacts are not counted). Letters must also include bill number, position consistent with ACWA’s, and correct legislator(s) or regulatory/administrative officials to be counted.
- Telephone call – 2 points per call.
- In-person contact – 3 points per meeting or contact.
- BONUS POINTS – 5 points will be awarded to an agency that responds to all of the ACWA Alerts issued during the calendar year.
Email copies of letters sent to legislators or regulators/administrators to: email@example.com.
Other interactions, such as emails, telephone calls or in-person contacts may be submitted on this form.
Copies of letters/emails, and listings of calls and meetings must be provided to ACWA Outreach staff by October 1 or the first Monday following October 1 each year to be qualified.
2016 Overall Winner:
Three Valleys Municipal Water District
2016 Regional Winners:
Region 1: North Marin Water District
Region 2: Rio Alto Water District
Region 3: City of Roseville
Region 4: (Tie) San Juan Water District, Oakdale Irrigation District
Region 5: Monterey Peninsula Water Management District
Region 6: Kings River Conservation District
Region 7: Wheeler Ridge-Maricopa Water Storage District
Region 8: Three Valleys Municipal Water District
Region 9: Cucamonga Valley Water District
Region 10: Vista Irrigation District
Special Outreach Awards
To be recognized through one of these four special outreach awards, a member agency must fill out a separate entry form (available here) and provide additional information for consideration by the Outreach Task Force. The Outreach Task Force will review entries and determine whether recognition is warranted in each category. The awards will be made at the discretion of the task force; some categories may not be awarded annually.
The point system used for overall outreach also will be used for special recognition interactions. Please see the below eligibility requirements for each special outreach award.
Eligibility for Special Recognition
- Most Active Small Agency: An agency with fewer than 50 full-time employees that has engaged on any issue of importance to ACWA may apply for recognition through this award. An itemized list of interactions must be provided. The winner will be selected based on the total number of interactions and with consideration of agency size.
- Most Effective Agency on a Federal Issue: An agency that has engaged on a federal issue as prioritized by the ACWA Federal Affairs Committee may apply for recognition through this award. An itemized list of federal interactions must be provided. The winner will be selected based on the total number of federal interactions and with consideration of the importance of the issue.
- Most Compelling Case: An agency that has engaged on a specific issue that has been prioritized by the ACWA State Legislative Committee or Federal Affairs Committee may apply for recognition through this award. Copies of letters/emails sent on the issue must be attached to the application and a written statement explaining why the agency’s actions on the issue should be considered compelling also must be provided. The winner will be selected based on the strength of the argument made by the agency, specific examples of impacts pertaining to the legislation, and with consideration of the priority of the issue.
- Rising Star: An agency that has not participated in the outreach program within the past five years and has engaged on any issue of importance to ACWA may apply for recognition through this award. An itemized list of interactions must be provided. The winner will be selected based on the total number and quality of interactions with consideration of past outreach activities.
2016 Special Outreach Award Winners
Most Active Small Agency: Bella Vista Water District
Most Compelling Case: Padre Dam Municipal Water District
For questions regarding the ACWA Outreach program, please contact Marie Meade at firstname.lastname@example.org. To receive outreach credit, send letters and contacts By Monday, Oct. 2, 2017 to: Outreach Program, 910 K Street, Suite 100, Sacramento, CA 95814 or email email@example.com.